Sunday, September 4, 2016

30 Days of Frigga Day 4 Favorite Myths

A favorite myth or myths of this deity

I believe my favorite stories of Frigga are those that show her relationship with Odin as they often portray her as a partner equal to him especially when it comes to wits and sneakiness.

Frigga and the Long-beards

When the warring tribes - the Lombards and the Vandals - were fighting over new land, Odin favored the Vandals and Frigga favored the Lombards. From the beginning this sounds like a game of chess with the wits of the gods evenly matched on the battlefield.
Frigga tried to persuade Odin to her side and he, thinking he was being clever and could avoid fighting with his wife and still grant victory to his favorite tribe, declared that he would use all his powers to grant the victory to the first tribe that he saw upon awakening, and slept secure in the knowledge that his bed was facing the Vandals and he was sure to see them first.
While he slept, however, Frigga concocted a plan to outwit her husband. She gathered up the women of the Lombards and carefully combed their hair over their faces to give them the illusion of being men with beards, and placed them outside Odin's window; when he awoke and saw them, he mistook them for their men and was forced to cede the victory to the Lombards after all.

I suppose I enjoy this myth because it reminds me of my own relationship with my husband and how much I enjoy turning the tables on him when he thinks he's being so clever.

Resources
Marriage Prayer for Frigg

No comments:

Post a Comment